Focus of teaching
Ecology of limnic systems, ecotoxicology, limnology of tropical water bodies, restoration of lakes and rivers
Activities in teaching
- Reader of `Water Biology´, studies of `Water Engineering´, Berlin University of Technology, Campus El Gouna, Egypt (since 2012).
- Associate profesor and research group leader `Limnology´at the Berlin University of Technology, Chair `Water Quality Control´(1989 - 2016).
- International exchange programs (UNIBRAL and PROBRAL) with support of the German Exchange Service (DAAD) and the der Coordinação de Aperfeiçoamento
de Pessoal de Nível Superior (Capes, Brazil).
- Visiting Professor at following universities:
Escuela Politécnica National de Quito/Ecuador,
Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Perú, Lima, Peru,
Universidade Tecnica de Oruro, Bolivien,
Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, Brasilien.
Water Engineering - Module `Water Biology´, Camus El Gouna
The module comprises fundamentals of aquatic ecosystems, aquatic biological structures and processes as well as methods for water quality evaluation. Focus are to understand and apply basic tools
for water quality management, and the control, evaluation and protection of aquatic systems are described.
The students learn to understand fundamentals of aquatic ecosystems, aquatic biological structures and processes as well as methods for water quality control.
Content of the module are biological components of aquatic systems, methods of biological water analyses, evaluation of parameters, P-, N- and C-turnover processes, aquatic organisms and food
chains, eutrophication, significance of cyanobacteria, methods for water quality control and evaluation, lakes, reservoirs and running water ecosystems, water-born diseases, and management of
El Gouna, Department of Water Engineering: Link>
Completed Promotions 2017 / 2018
- Dr.-Ing. Elena Matta, Thema: Multi-dimensional flow and transport modeling of a surface water body in a semi-arid area: the case of the Icó-Mandantes Bay, Northeast Brazil. (Chair of Water
Quality Control & Chair of Water Resources Management and Modeling of Hydrosystems, Berlin University of Technology).
- Dr. rer. nat. Debora Lima, Thema: Seasonal water level changes and the development of phytoplankton and macrophyte undesired species. (Chair of Water Quality Control, Berlin University of
- Dr. rer. nat. Maricela Rodrigues, Thema: Greenhouse gases emissions in a semi-arid reservoir in Northeastern Brazil. (Leibniz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries Berlin
& Chair of Water Quality Control, Berlin University of Technology).
- PhD Karina Walseska Lopes Rossiter. Thesis: Efeitos da redução da vazão do reservatório de Sobradinho na qualidade da água a jusante, sob o enfoque da
vazão ecológica. (Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Engenharia Química & Chair of Water Quality Control, Berlin University of Technology ).
- Dr. rer. nat. Ute Michels, Thema: Invertebraten in Trinkwasserverteilungs-systemen Lebensraum, Verbreitung, Nahrungsbeziehungen. (Chair of Water Quality Control, Berlin University of
- Dr.-Ing. Florian Selge, Thema: Aquatic esosystem functions and oligotrophication potential of the Itaparica reservoir, São Francisco river, in the semiarid Northeast Brazil. (Chair of Water
Quality Control, Berlin University of Technology).