1. Academic exams and awards
- 1974: Graduation in Biology and Chemisty, University of Freiburg
- 1977 – 1980: Junior Scientist at the Limnological Institute Konstanz
- 1979: Dr. rer. nat., University of Freiburg, PhD thesis "Bioaccumulation of a herbicide (Atrazine) in fish under consideration of food intake, feeding level and growth".
- 1980: Scientific staff, Berlin University of Technology, Institute for Environmental Protection, laboratory head
- 1984: Habilitation and Venia legendi, Berlin University of Technology, Lecturer of Limnology
- 2013: Professor Adalbert Seifriz Award
- 2015: Zenit Innovation Award (finalist)
1977 - Conference Limnological Institut 2015 - IWA Conference Sao Francisco
2. Attendance at institutions of higher education
- Since 2012: Lecturer of Water Biology in the El Gouna Campus, Egypt, of the Berlin University of Technology,
- 2016: Visiting scientist at the Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil
- 2009: Universidade Tecnica de Oruro, Bolivia, Short-term lecturer in Environmental Sciences
- 2007: Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Instituto do Ingeneria Civil, short-term lecturer for limnology.
- 2007 – 2008: Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Lima, Instituto Químico, serial short-term lecturer for limnology.
- 1996 – 1999: Escuela Politecnica National, Quito, Ecuador, Instituto de Engenharia Civil, serial short-term lecturer (DAAD) for limnology and management of aquatic ecosystems.
- since 1989: Head of the Section “Limnology” in the Department “Water Quality Control”.
- 1980 – 1989: Laboratory head (Lab. for Aquatic Science) at the Technical University of Berlin, “Institute of Environmental Technology”.
3. Research experiences since completing studies
3.1. National Research experience
- 2006 – 2009, 2010 – 2012: Research on the occurrence of Asellus aquaticus in drinking water distributions systems.
- 2003 – 2008: Biological processes in river bank filtration.
- 1992 – 1995: PCB migration in lake sediments.
- 1990 – 1994: Lake restoration and sanitation in Berlin and Brandenburg (Falkenhagener Seenkette, Rangsdorfer See, Plötzensee)
- 1988 – 1992: River restoration of lakes and rivers (Packereigraben, Kindelfließ, Tegeler Fließ, Rangsdorfer See)
- 1987 – 1990: Biological monitoring of Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCB)
3.2 International research activities
- 2012 – 2016: Reservoir management in the semiarid area of Brazil (INNOVATE research program): Aquatic biodiversity, re-oligotrophication of tropical reservoirs, remote sensing for water
- 2009 – 2011: Universidad Santa Catalina, USC and Federal University of Pernambuco, UFPE, Brazil, River bank filtration in Lago Peri, SC, and Rio Beberibe, PE.
- 2009 – 20010: Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Lima, Instituto Químico: Sediment management in the Reservoir Gallito Ciego, Peru.
- 2006 – 2008: Federal University of Pernambuco, UFPE, Brazil; PROBRAL “Water basin management in the Northeast of Brazil, Sao Francisco, Brazil”.
- 2004 – 2005: Federal University of Pernambuco, UFPE, Brazil; PROBRAL “The use of sub-surface dams for water storage”
- 2002 – 2005, 2010 - 2013: Federal University of Pernambuco, UFPE, Brazil; UNIBRAL “Environmental Sciences”
- 2002 – 2008: University Central, Quito, Ecuador: Volcanic lakes and their risk for limnic eruptions.
- 1997 – 2002: Escuela Politecnica National de Quito, Ecuador: Limnology of the Lake San Pablo, a high mountain tropical lake, Ecuador.
- 1997- 2005: Cooperation with the Empresa Metropolitana de Agua Potable y Alcantarillado de Quito (EMAAP-Q), Monitoring of the high mountain reservoirs in the Andean zone.
- 1997 – 2001: Universidade Brasilia, Brazil: Anthropogenic impact of the Curúa-Una Reservoir in Amazonian, Brazil.